Creating a healthy workplace is a growing trend among employers who desire to create a dynamic and productive environment within their organization. Creating health promotion programs that go farther than a good benefits package and subsidizing gym memberships is a trend in growing companies trying to attract and retain great employees.
There is solid evidence supporting that a comprehensive approach to creating healthy workplaces, shows benefits ranging from improved employee health and wellness to reduced employer costs and increased productivity:
- Health promotion programs have been shown to reduce rising healthcare costs and reduce the costs incurred by disability and absenteeism.
- Presenteeism – when an employee shows up to work but is not productive because of an ailment – can account for 61% of the total costs associated with some very common conditions and can account for a $150 Billion loss of production in the United States alone annually.
- Obesity poses a great threat to the employer’s bottom line. Obese employees have twice as many workers compensation claims and have medical claims costs that are seven times higher. They also lose 13 times as many work days than those in the recommended weight class.
The bottom line is that health promotion programs show an average benefit of $3.72 in reduced health care costs (per dollar invested in the program) and $5.06 in reduced absenteeism. Most studies show a return on investment of $3-$8 for every dollar invested over a 5 year period. 20 The strongest evidence supports interventions that attack problems such as smoking, weight, physical activity, and diet.
Well-designed programs, implemented appropriately in your work environment, are an opportunity to indicate that your organization values the people that work for it and can keep your employees engaged and productive. Creation of a health-promoting work environment and a health-conscious culture that strives to increase employee physical activity has been shown to benefit companies of all types.
We are dedicated to working with companies and individuals by proactively providing tools to achieve personal and fitness goals. Pure’s fitness programs fall into four categories, each of which can be customized to suit the needs of your company and employees:
• Group Fitness Programs
• Specialty Fitness Programs
• Fitness Challenges
• Personalized One-on-One Training Services
For more information, please fill out the form below and we will respond within 48 hours.