We are are truly blessed to live in such a beautiful place. With picturesque mountains, crystal clear waterfalls, fields of gold, tall trees of green, and a wide variety of brilliantly coloured flowers. The earth is such an amazing work of art.
With all these marvels in our own backyard it is hard to believe how many people forget all the wonders the earth offers us. We forget to stop and smell the flowers or to take that drive to mountains to enjoy the scenery. We forget to take out our cameras and capture the breath taking sunset. But worse; we forget that we need to protect all of these marvelous things; we need to respect our planet.
Sometimes it is hard to slow down and catch our breath enough to realize the small things that we neglect to do. And it really is the small things that make the biggest difference. If everyone took a few moments out of their day to do the little things, our world would continue to thrive and offer us plentiful resources far into the future.
Here are 6 ways to live more green:
1. Recycle: Recycling is a very easy way to commit to a living greener. The city offers blue recycle bins to every resident in Red Deer. It is as easy as rinsing out the items you are recycling, and placing them in the blue bin provided. Once a week remember to roll out the bin to the road for the recycle truck to pick up. For those that don’t live in Red Deer, most towns in Alberta offer similar programs, or have a recycle facility where you can drop off your items.
2. Donate: We all have items in our homes that we are no longer using. Donate them instead of throwing them away. You would be surprised on how many people would find a use for the things that no longer serve a purpose in your home. There are a ton of of donation locations in the city and in surrounding towns. But there are also other options like kijiji or facebook buy and sell. If you list it, your cast offs will be someone else’s treasure 90% of the time.
3. Reduce The Use Of Plastic Water Bottles And Takeout Cups: Purchase a good reusable water bottle, and sturdy coffee mug. Owning these reusable items helps eliminate a lot of waste from drive thru coffee cups and plastic water bottles.
4. Walk: Make it a habit for the whole family to walk or ride your bikes once or twice a week to your destination (weather permitting) to reduce the amount of emissions.
5. Stop The Litter: Remember where litter lies, beauty dies. Even if it is not yours, if you see litter pick it up. It really is sad to see garbage laying all over the place. If we all stop and pick up a piece or two, our community would be that much cleaner.
6. Lights: Turn off lights in your home when you exit a room and conserve energy. Ensure that you’re only using the power you need when necessary.
Theses are just a few small steps that we all can do to help our community and the world continue to remain beautiful and abundant. Remember one person can make a difference, and everyone should try!